10 Reasons Why It’s Time to Have a Hip Replacement
Having hip replacement surgery is mainly up to the patient. Nevertheless, it is a serious surgery and the decision to move forward should be made in consultation with your doctor.
When the pain incapacitates you, it may then be time for surgery. However, there are a few other signs that may indicate that it’s time to have a hip replacement.
A Word About the Conservative Approach
Many doctors will caution patients about jumping into surgery too quickly. It’s important to be aware of the benefits and also the many risks that are associated with any surgical procedure. Before the decision is made to have surgery, Dr. Fuchs may suggest you lose weight, engage in physical therapy, take anti-inflammatory medications, or perhaps try steroid injections.
Once those pre-surgical approaches do not provide relief from pain, it may be time to discuss the appropriateness of surgery.
Is It Time for You to Have a Hip Replacement?
A hip replacement should improve your quality of life, help you to recover lost mobility, and get relief from the pain. The amount of pain, the duration, how persistent it is, and if it keeps you from enjoying life all contribute to the primary reasons why someone might want a hip replacement.
The following are additional reasons to have hip replacement surgery:
- If your pain reduces your quality of life and restricts your ability to do everyday tasks
- If the pain keeps you awake at night or wakes you up while sleeping
- If it’s hard to climb stairs or get up from a chair
- If it’s difficult or impossible to do simple things like walking, shopping, or getting in or out of a car
- There is persistent pain
- If X-rays show bone on bone contact
- There is noticeable swelling
- The pain from an activity lasts well beyond the actual activity
- Your lifestyle is severely limited and it becomes impossible to enjoy things like playing with grandchildren or gardening
- All other remedies have failed to give you relief from the pain
What Should I Do Now?
You and Dr. Fuchs must look at how well you would tolerate the surgery based on your age, general health, and bone density. Discuss with your physician the benefits and risks of the surgery and make your decision in consultation with the expert.
Schedule a Hip Replacement Consultation in Kirkland, WA
Is it time to have a hip replacement? Contact us at (425) 823-4000, or request an appointment online, to schedule an appointment with Dr. Fuchs.